Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Creating Comfortable Corners

Do you ever get in a decorating or organizing slump at home? Even though I help others with their homes, I can get in ruts on my own. First of all, I'm there all the time and look at it all day long. Add a busy and active toddler and a work at home husband, and there isn't always creative space to just....think. Can I get an Amen?

I'm halfway through Reading Love the Home You Have by Melissa Michaels and it was just what I needed to get out of my slump and jump start some new ideas!





I love my new open concept home, but it is harder to design because there are less walls to work with. We also have a longer narrow design to our main living space, so there is the added challenge of trying to avoid the "bowling alley" effect. Add living with a toddler who likes to touch everything and a husband more concerned about function than form, and it's daunting to decorate. So I just don't and get in a slump. And it bugs me.

Chapter 9 is entitled Adding Charm and Character. Melissa writes:
The charming ambiance you crave is possible, regardless of what you have to work with, when you create a comfortable place to be. Each corner and main space can be a welcoming area for you to connect with your family, rest awhile, and breathe a sigh of relief.
                                                                                         From Love the Home You Have

She tells us to focus on the corners of our houses-making them comfortable and purposeful. She says to tackle one corner at a time and determine the function and the feel you want first.

I have to say it was a bit of a light bulb moment. I was stressing out trying to focus on the look of the entire room, which was overwhelming me in our super open house where you can see everything. I am now creating corners, and it's much easier!



My home goal for this year was to make my house feel more comfortable. This chapter was what I needed to get back on track with that goal. I've already tackled two corners and it's inspiring more ideas.

Thanks Melissa!


Check out Love the Home You Have on Amazon!





No comments:

Post a Comment