Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Finding Creativity

When I was in the fifth grade, there was a special group of kids who were pulled out of class every now and then to go to something called "Explorations." I was not one of those kids, but my friend was, so I asked her what it was all about. She told me, it's for "creative" kids. I said, why don't I get to go? She said, "because you're not creative."  

Fortunately as I grew older I learned that creativity is more than just writing poetry, being good at art, or wearing strange clothing. What I love about interior design is that it requires a bit of creativity, but also a lot of common sense and the ability to plan and execute something that will end up looking good. 

When I look at a space it just clicks in my head what will look good and what won't.  It's not something I can measure, it's just sort of this sixth sense about what looks good. Now sure there are some rules and strategies but at the end of the day, most people who design just sort of get it. I guess I always thought that was just common sense, but it's not. It takes creativity to envision something that wasn't there before. Or envision a better something than what is already there, which is more what I find myself doing the most.

When I started looking back, I remembered these little projects I did during those "uncreative" years, like decoupaging a shelf, and hand embroidering little flowers onto some jeans. I constantly rearranged the furniture in my room to keep it interesting. When my parents wouldn't let me redecorate my room, I ignored the pink and went over it with....black. That didn't pan out so well. 

I experimented with vintage clothing in funky colors and sometimes my hair to match. I started a trend of buying vintage prom dresses which cost 30 dollars instead of the cookie cutter ones at the department store.

In my first apartment I repurposed my childhood dresser with some paint and new hardware. I helped my guy friends decorate their bachelor pads in the city on the cheap. Eventually I had my own homes that needed fixing up and I figured out various ways to do it inexpensively.

So whatever you love to do, be it diaper cakes or dressers, rearranging or renovating, don't let anyone tell you you aren't creative, because we all have something that allows us to express ourselves and make the world a little bit better and more interesting at the same time. 





1 comment:

  1. Whoever said you weren't creative REALLY didn't know you very well. You're also a fine writer. Miss you.


    Linda

    ReplyDelete